Cool Thoughts 2

I like to write so I am writing. I hope this helps someone.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Dungeons and dragons

BLM:90 WHM:90 SMN:90 THF:90 WAR:90 DRK:90 RNG:90 PLD:90

In Dungeons & Dragons I was first introduced to the complex principle of alignment. You could be good or evil but now there were flavors. As a little kid, I was about 10 or so and rather religious, I had to struggle for many years to understand what Chaotic Evil was and Lawful Good and Lawful Evil and True Neutral.

In the game, you can have 9 different alignments. This defines your morals and ethics or better said your philosophy on life. I have to say I never really understood how to tell them apart until recently since I have a lot of time to think about things now.

The nine different alignments, in the game(and there can probably be subsets of these if you really want to nitpik but come on 9 is hard enough to understand), are Lawful Good Lawful Neutral Lawful Evil Chaotic Good Chaotic Neutral Chaotic Evil Neutral Good Neutral Evil and True Neutral.

So in the book there are pages and pages of how to define these and none of them tell you how to tell these apart better than I am about to.

To be lawful, you follow your culture's laws. Culture is different depending on what area you live in.

People that steal cars in a rural area(out in the country) get a week in jail after they eventually run out of gas and btw where were you gonna go on half a tank out in the middle of nowhere. So not a lot of harm done since the cost of it all was just some lost work.

People that steal cars in the city get charged with a years of jail since stolen cars usually are not seen again when the robbery occurs in big cities. Cars take years to pay off and someone stealing your car is clearly doing you some serious damage to your livelihood.

People that steal horses in the old west would get hung. Yep. Bad news for rustlers if they find you. Horses not only take years to train and pay off, they become part of your family because they have feelings. To take someone's horse was tantamount to stealing your wife almost and the cost to you is not only your livelihood and good nature, but you went from having a farm to not having one cuz what can you do with a farm and no horse.

So cultures can be very different depending on the area or decade and it doesn't determine good or evil it is just a flavor of it. This is ethics, to be lawful, neutral, or chaotic in your regard to the law.

Btw, I wanna arm wrestle Will Smith for his wife. I know I'm gonna lose but DANG IT she fine! Just for one second! OWIEEE!

And that's an example of having no ethics cuz I am not actually wronging anyone cuz he might agree to it, hah, but I am disrespecting the law or his culture or mine if my culture believes in marriage.

Morals are all about good and evil. Everyone agrees that to wrong someone is evil. In fact, I see evil everywhere. People that know I have a problem, and provoke me, are evil. They, with intent, are wronging me. You can wrong me without intent, like running over my dog or scratching my car door when you back up or talking to my wife and smiling too hard. This is stuff you have to expect cuz you KNOW my wife be FINE and you just can't help YeSElf!

But to do it with intent, to swerve into my dog, to walk by my car with your key slightly sticking through your pants, to ask my wife if she likes hot tubs and drinking scotch like I do, yeah that's messed up. You are wronging me not only in real life, you are doing it in your head. Now you can think all the evil you want in your head, even though the bible, maybe for good reason, says you have already committed an evil act, but to do something about it is evil. Sounds difficult but it's not so hard to figure out.

If you wrong someone, you have done something you and that person both know is evil.

Such are morals, you can write me a story, if it's a good one, that's a good; if it's bad and I waste my time on it, you are neutral; if you lace the papers with some sort of chloroform so that I spend weeks sick in the head with allergies, you issa ebol mamojammo.

So now you know how to do combinations. You can drive drunk and not harm people and that makes you Chaotic Good. You can be a cop and forget to tell someone, with intent, that they are facing a year in jail and then watch them mess up, and that makes you Lawful Evil.

Btw, there's a reason for a system of government. It's so that people don't use their own bias to skew justice. So when the system doesn't work, that means both sides lose. One problem, a system always works. It works as intended by the makers of the law.

I still wanna know how a law can have an intent?! Ok before I go all 40 pages of bullshit I better get back on the subject. Anyways I ain't ever drinking again cuz no way am I ever risking any BS again if I can help it.

People of diametrically opposed alignments tend to have the hardest time with each other. Hate. In the game, a paladin or cop, is Lawful Good. He has an aura of protection from evil and gets a bonus to combat roles if he uses a holy sword, that is, if he uses divine judgment. His nemesis is the someone Chaotic Evil. Someone with no regard for culture and no regard for others. He can put up with good people, that is people that may or may not care about culture and laws but don't wrong others, he can even sit at a table with neutral people, people that think bullshitting others is fun but is not wronging them, even though it might be but too bad for them if they suck, "I'm not wrong". But a lawful good person he will not put up with people that wrong others.

If you are diametrically opposed however, if the paladin ever meets someone that is Chaotic Evil, then he must not rest until that person is gone. It's his job to remove him from existence. He has hate for this person.

Well that's in the game.

I feel that I have been trying to be Chaotic Good for a long time, even though I wasn't. Maybe laws are ok to break if you don't harm people. Maybe pot is ok. Maybe running red lights and driving 80 is all right as long as we aren't harming people. In fact we can even harm people if they attack first but I think it's all bullshit now.

I am Lawful Good and I am staying that way. I have always been that way. I have been a preacher from day one and I don't know how I went down the road trying to be different trying to meld with the society of the bar but it's over. I'm not going back.

Still, I will remain true to my family but if I find the right girl, they are gonna have to take second saddle, and you can guess what alignment the girl is gonna have to have.

But what Lawful Good girl would want someone with my history. Probably none but the Chaotic Good life did give me quite a few tricks to impress the ladies, hahahaha.

Ahhh me! So now you want to know what Dungeons and Dragons means. Ever thought about it?

People that can't wrong others are in a dungeon. They can get attacked and attacked and attacked and they can never do anything but cry out from the pain. Good people are in a dungeon. They are cows. They are the free hits cushion of choice. Caged. Meek. Feeble. To even raise their voice invites the other to raise their voice higher and the person by going even further thereby changes the good person from good to evil... to return the bite is to become the werewolf or as a famous person said in Lost in Space, "you can't kill the man without becoming the monster". Great movie. If I see a movie more than 6 times or so I will say great movie and that's because the writing is so good that I get something good and new from it the more I watch it.

So anyways in review, everyone good is a Dungeon, everyone evil is a Dragon. And Saint George slays the dragon but he dies in the process. Meh, time for a ciggie, the proof is on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I think MichealAngelo got what it was to be divine, to be a god. He drew two humans; hands almost touching, fingers almost pointing, eyes almost meeting, old man dies, young girl lives, fair trade...

that's from Sin City... great movie.