Cool Thoughts 2

I like to write so I am writing. I hope this helps someone.

Monday, July 10, 2006

Ramblings of an Ex-CEO


BLM:75 WHM:54 SMN:38 THF:70 WAR:56 RNG:36

I have been running around lately getting cutscenes for the Aht Urgan missions. They are interesting but are lengthy. Still, it's probably a good idea to get all the cutscenes done so that I am ready when they start to include the new missions in upcoming updates that involve A REWARD, lol.

Thinking about what to do today, I believe I have to level my SMN a bit more. I still have to get one more Staging Point, Mamool Ja I believe, but I am not in the mood to do that. I am still at a loss of words at the start of the new linkshell. I wonder what purpose this serves. I wonder what role I have in it. I am just going to have to maintain my presence low key until I get used to it. Mithrandel and Emagyen are not in this new linkshell.

Uchipu's husband is now a member. This I applaud because it's my belief that a couple is the best kind of leader to have. It's hard to disrespect a leader when their significant other is sitting right there. This is part of what went wrong with Mith and Ema, cuz Ema likes spell it out for you if you do something wrong, but Mith doesn't take kindly to the word "female dog" spoken to his wife. If it were up to me, I wouldn't allow talk like that anyhow. It serves no purpose and is NOT effective communication. In fact, insults signal a breakdown of any useful information exchange. So if there is nothing useful to be said then all you are doing to fighting each other, which can all be done in /tells.

One thing though, I can't explain then why other people were given Sackholder status. A sackholder is a leader. You can expect that a sackholder is someone that the ls leader "trusts". Well, by taking away my "status" and giving others said status, I can only assume I am LESS respected by the leader. Similarly, Ema and Mith were treated the same way. Even Kirbyprime is no longer a sackholder.

It's a noble sentiment to have a ls with only members and one ls leader that promises to never kick anybody, and indeed this is what Fernanda and Inverno were hoping for right before they left. I thought that is what Uchipu meant to do when she announced the new ls. Then she said Cornnholio would be a sackholder. That I could not understand? Why have any sackholders in the new ls? To start a new ls and make some other people leaders and try to keep the old leaders as members with a diminished status and tell them it's "new", well that's just a staid remark. You have basically just covered up what you really did. You kicked the old leaders and kept the members. This, after the old leaders made the linkshell nice and fat with communication and knowledge and participation. People don't join a major ls to do stuff on a regular basis, they join it for the same reason that people go to a bar. They want to relax and talk and shoot a game of pool maybe. They wanna go where they will be "recognized" as a regular. A good leader makes it "attractive" to put the pearl on. A good leader doesn't have to show up to events all of the time and talk to everyone and remain calm in the face of insults, but it helps. And that's what I did.

The new linkshell is basically... Fernanda Hohito Emagyen Kirbyprime Cornnholio and Uchipu's old linkshell but it's "new". I just don't see the reason for it.

Where is Ema? Where is Fernanda? These thoughts are gonna keep buggin me as I look at all the people that joined our "Band of the Hawk" and wonder at their faces if they are still happy with all different leaders who didn't help build the group to where it is.

One thing though, if it was my choice to have the ls the way it is or have Uchipu leave and have the whole thing go to crap, I would rather have it the way it is. I realize the stress on Uchipu must have been fearsome with events tolling some of our leaders as it did. I can only imagine now with Monday nights all but gone and many such events not even taking place anymore how it must seem to have a ls of people all gathered together but not really doing anything. A lot of really powerful people I might add. These are not your newbies, all of these members are nobles in their own right. The ones that have been here more than a year deserve to have a sackholder "status" just for staying with the ls imo. As a matter of fact everytime I looked at Net's name and saw his pearl next to it, it just bugged me. Durnik too. People shouldn't have to bitch and moan to keep their status.

I was doing my best to get people their Promy Missions during the week but Ski took over that role. He is really quite dilligent. What Skibum didn't do, is to do it with charisma. People don't listen to you when you start your sentences "We NEED to do this.." and "You BETTER have that..." People are choosing to participate. They want to have fun and if it doesn't sound like a good time, they ain't even gonna log in to the game. I had planned to do regular BCNM 40s with some of the group but Uchipu quickly put Cornnholio in charge of that and then interest in it diminished. At my best, I was undermined. I still feel Uchipu is a great leader but I know that there are two kinds of people, the doers and the thinkers. The thinkers usually appear to be lazy. So it must seem to her that I was lazy, but I did go to just about every Monday Night event, I tried to show up to Assault on a regular basis, I spoke up every time someone had a random question that I could answer.

It's wonderful to have an event where everyone knows what is going on and gets it done it record time; they are expected to act like they are the leader, by reading up on what the mission is and having maps and getting key items all in a row, what usually happens is that these people don't show up. That's what leaders are supposed to do is get everyone parsed so that they can be taken at value and put up next to ppl like them that need a major item and map or whatever.

Remember when you were a Dungeon Master? As a DM you were supposed to do ALL the work so that the players, bless their simple minds, would have fun doing whatever podunk thing like pick up a rock and throw it at the Jubilex for 0 dmg. That doesn't make the players stupid it makes them the ones that get to have fun by doing the simple stuff.

Ok I'm rambling now so meh, till next time.

3 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Uchipu said...

O god...I don't even know where to start.

Firstly, Hohito, I like you. I think you try to see things others don't see, and it's commendable. But in trying to do so, you seem to see things with rather tinted point of view and refuse to see explanation of other points of view. Which can lead to friction amongst those that your comments are targeted toward.

Your post today, is just that.

I have tried to explain it to you that this new LS isn't really an LS. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Sacks do not mean anything in the new LS.

My new phrase for the XTC is: A place where you will find Uchipu, and some of your friends to do stuff with.

Quite different from DX, I think: An LS for busy people, with chock full of pre-scheduled events.

I am beginning to wonder if you have read any of my PMs to you or the posts I have made on Bill's site.

I recommend that you do, because then you'll understand why Corn is the only sack holder (other than Rika who is sacked for utility purpose).

Corn and I go way back - way so back that I remember helping Corn with LB1. I trust him fully. He wanted to start a new LS when I said I was disbanding DX, to do events.

At this point, I said that we shouldn't let people "choose" between LSs, because that would be unfair to many. As a result, we bought the new LS together, and named it together.

Hence, Corn in sorta in charge with doing events, and hence, he is the only "real" sack holder.

I do, however, need to clarify some things.

I did not KICK Ema and Mith. They chose not to be part of the new LS because they did not like some of the members. They left out of their own kindness & consideration towards me. Had they stayed, they know they would have caused friction and caused me the same heartache I experience in DX. I think that was very mature, thoughtful and kind of them to do so. I cannot stop thanking them whenever I see their names active on my friendlist. I still talk to them regularly.

No other ex-sack holder feels "DIMINISED" other than yourself. Gary, Kirby, Xylos have not made any comment about it. But then, I don't think they felt as special about it as you did. Kirby is still doing Monday & Wednesday Assaults as if nothing ever happened.

Fernanda hasn't been on for a long time, and she and Bill have actually cancelled their FFXI account. This has been done long before the disbanding of DX - so I have no idea what you're talking about here...

If you read my blog from today, you'll see that my new home is functioning quite well. People are finally looking to start things up themselves. Perhaps it is because there is no sack holders. They don't have to look to somebody to lead them.

" A good leader makes it "attractive" to put the pearl on. "

True, but it's not an event LS so I don't care if you do or don't find the new pearl attractive. In fact, I don't care if any others find it attractive or not. To me, if I see you with my pearl on, it means you're my friend, and enjoy MY company - not because of the contents of the events, other members, or what I can do for you.

Ho, if you are that hung up on having a sack, you can have one. I don't care, truthfully.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Hohito said...

Thanks for explaining it to me. I don't need a sack. I just want to understand.

:)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Hohito said...

I sent you a PM on the old DX website.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home