Cool Thoughts 2

I like to write so I am writing. I hope this helps someone.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Oh great, a Great Sword


BLM:75 WHM:58 SMN:42 THF:74 WAR:58 RNG:43

Yesterday, I spent some time leveling WAR/THF. I was in a party with a NIN. a MNK, a SMN, WHM, and a RDM I think. We went to go level against Aht Urghan Aftercops(spiders) and Lesser Colibri(hummingbirds).

This is great except that the Lesser Colibris like to use a Snatch Morsel ability. This is very annoying to a heavy DD in a NIN party cuz turning the mob your way for long periods of time can cost you a Squid Sushi. Those don't come cheap btw!

So I tried to not use a weaponskill in the party. Since I knew the monk was wanting to use Raging Fists I came up with a weaponskill of Shockwave > Raging Fists for Impaction. Well the NIN speaks up and says that it is aoe. I knew that. I said true.

So since I couldn't come up wth a different sc then we solo'd. It wasn't a bad idea either. The spiders like to cast an aoe Slow ability which the WHM was not able to get off of 3 before it would use it again. It was very annoying. Since it was slowing the NIN and the MNK down and me down I knew it was prob close to impossible to keep off, nevermind keeping Haste up. So I adjusted by using my ws with the NIN so that the MNK could ws more often.

Later on tho the NIN speaks up and asks um "Why don't you use dual axes?" I always get this stuff from people that don't know what they are talking about. I was using a Great Sword. Now it's true that axes benefit from having A skill ability as opposed to the Great Sword's B skill ability. This is something I didn't know about until I was at around 48th level. So my Axe skill needs skillin up. But my Great Sword ablity is not tossable. I still hit with my ws much more often than say a Ranger so I am fulfilling my role in a party as a melee just fine. Melees usually have to be of that variety anway to make a good skillchain, one small dmg ws and one large dmg ws. You will notice from the table that this is true. That's why there is no Rampage > Raging Fists sc etc.

So your big boast about knowing what it takes to make a good melee falls deaf to someone that knows I would not be allowed to choose my ws of choice anyways. So I maintained a level of silence in the group which is not normal for me since I like to point out crap to people that want to learn. But it's a huge load of gobbledygook when you gobble about WAR/THF.

I may not have an extra axe. I may not be able to even use Rampage. I may not be able to backup tank as well as a WAR/NIN. But get you to the skillchain quickly and do 400+ dmg from a SA + Crescent Moon, that, I can do.

And I do it, with a Great Sword.

3 Comments:

At 1:09 PM, Blogger Paul Bauman said...

I'm certain your DoT was fine with GS, although if you like using that weapon or Great Axe, I'm hearing very good things about the /SAM sub. Makes me wish I had taken the time to level that up.

On the Skillchain thing... yeah, hard to do on those birds. They seem to be tailored to TP burn, especially since they have that stupid Feather Tickle move that reduces your TP to 0%. So it's not like you can really afford to wait for someone else to hit 100%.

Your performance, honestly, might have been a bit better with dual axes and Rampage but as long as you weren't whiffing too badly, I don't think a parser would complain all that much.

 
At 7:19 PM, Blogger Fhlo said...

it's all preference really. i started up WAR again, when i exp i try to stay a cut above other melee, not just fulfill the melee role.

/NIN may also seem like the bandwagon SJ..but there's pretty much no downside, your DoT is much better. /THF is sick with a great axe, which i still have yet to level.

i try to stick with a decent ACC/attack setup, until i can get more haste in later levels. i'm not a big fan of sushi, i rather enjoy the attack bonus from sis kebabi's, and i can get the ACC i need from gear alone. only sushi when against mobs alot higher than yourself.

just dont think "i'll /NIN with 2 axes cuz everyone else is!" any noob can sub NIN and buy 2 axes, but it's how you equip yourself and understand the job that sets apart a so-so melee from a superior melee.

oh, not calling you gimp or noobish btw, just throwing some advice, hope it helps! =)

 
At 4:44 PM, Blogger Hohito said...

Thank you for your opinions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home